The second quarter of 2010 has come and gone and despite the depleting VC and incubator capital in Israel, the quarter has brought approximately 40 deals with over $400 million invested. Several of the rounds we not disclosed – perhaps the IVC report later this month will provide a bit more information.
Looking at the aggregated list gives a quick sense of what funds are actively making investments. Worth noticing that Battery Ventures and Sequoia are picking pace amongst the foreign funds and Carmel and Gemini.
Here are a few hand-picked deals by VC Cafe:
- June 22, 2010 – Moblica, the parent company of Snaptu, developer of a free mobile app for non-touch phones, announced that it has raised $6 million in its series B round of funding led by new investor Carmel Ventures and joined by existing investor Sequoia Capital. As a part of the round Rina Shainski, General Partner of Carmel Ventures joined company’s board.
- On June 22, 2010 – Perfecto Mobile closed an undisclosed third round of funding from new investor Vodafone Ventures and returning investors Carmel Ventures and Vertex Venture Capital. The company has raised $14 million till date. See previous coverage of Perfecto on VC Cafe.
- June 15, 2010 –Tawkon, the mobile app that detects the level of radiation coming out of the mobile device, announced that it has raised an undisclosed amount in a round of funding led by new investor TASC Strategic Consulting. Apple rejected the app but the company plans to continue developing on the Android and Blackberry platforms.
- May 31, 2010 – SimilarGroup (formerly known as SimilarWeb) announced that it has raised $1 million in its series A round of funding from Naftali Investments, Docor International, Yossi Vardi, Omer Kaplan, Liron Rose, and private investors. The company has raised $1.1 million till date. Can ‘related content’ work as business model?
- May 25, 2010 – ZeRTO, an Israeli startup developing cloud computing services announced that it has raised a first round of $6 million from Battery Ventures and existing investor Greylock Partners. The company has raised $6.2 million till date. The company is still in stealth…
- May 24, 2010 – Taykey announced that it has raised an undisclosed amount in a round of funding from new investor Sequoia Capital. Taykey offers an Interest-based advertising platform for publishers, ad-networks, and creative agencies that integrates the current advertising platforms, delivers targeted ads, and creates campaigns. The company was founded in 2008 and is based in Herzlia Pituach, Israel. Given that Sequoia is also invested in Kenshoo for SEM campaign management, we can help but wonder if the fund is doubling down on advertising management solutions?
For the full list of investments in Q2 2010 across sectors (courtesy of Capital IQ) see the table below:
[gdocs type=’spreadsheet’ st_id=’0AkMTb9ntSeXxdGFvM2pqSzZJNUtaM011cUJtcW5FeHc’ wt_id=’od6′]
Latest posts by Eze Vidra (see all)
- Emerging Machine Intelligence Clusters - March 2, 2017
- 30 Machine Intelligence Startups to Watch in Israel - February 15, 2017
- Five Books I Want to Read in 2017 - January 16, 2017