IBM Global Entrepreneur, the computer giant’s entrepreneurship outreach arm is looking for the smartest early stage startups around the globe that will help solve tomorrow’s problems. To apply to the upcoming roadshows in entrepreneurship hubs around the world, companies need to be less than five years old with maximum turnover of $1 million a year. In addition, these startups are expected to fit with the IBM Smart Planet ethos, which requires complying with one of their three “I”s:
- Instrumented: Data capture or integration, possibly through sensors, kiosk, meters, PDAs, appliances, cameras (still and video), smart phones, implanted medical devices, or the web. Anything that captures reliable digital information and feeds into a system is eligible. Note that almost every solution will be instrumented in some way.
- Interconnected: Integrates data laterally across an end-to-end process, system, organization, industry, or value chain. Must demonstrate your industry expertise. Also, may integrate data that exists in an unstructured way or “en-masse” and not associated with a system in particular. For example: Web 2.0 type interconnectivity across people or communities, Google searches, and so on. May be supported by an open architecture.
- Intelligent: Yields new insights that drive actions, which improve the outcome. Outcomes must fundamentally change the end-user experience or ecosystem. The best examples will also have intelligence that is real-time, forward-looking, or predictive.
Events have already been held this year in Bangalore, Austin, Barcelona and New York, and the next event on the list is taking place in Tel Aviv, Israel on September 21st. While registrations are now 30 companies have passed the initial screening process and were selected to present in front of a panel of judges this month. So who are the “Smartest” startups in Israel? Check out the list after the jump.
- Otipo – offers SasS solution for managing personnel working in shifts allowing businesses to reduce attrition, increase employee satisfaction and lower wager costs.
- Airbase Systems ltd (CEO Irad Kuhnreich)- develops and operates sensors that show air pollution and information system and related services. The company aims to help consumers reduce the negative influence of air pollution on health and increase the transparency in the field.
- Indeni – the only off-the-shelf solution offering true automation and proactive monitoring and remediation for network security devices. Offers security systems monitoring solution that extend the existing tool functionality and aim to increase uptime and reliability.
- ICU Imaging – develops, manufactures and markets portable surveillance camera systems for transport vehicles. The cameras are designed to improve performance management software, to reduce the use of storage capacity, simplify installation and reduce expenses.
- EcoStore – What Amazon wants to do to online storage, Ecostore plans to take to corporate disc storage. The solution takes advantage of the free space on workstations drives to produce better storage for SMEs that is cheap, safe and scalable. The solution offers small and medium businesses significant cost savings.
- ActiveInsight – helps B2B organizations optimize customer acquisition and engage with top funnel prospects by analyzing customer intent in real time based online resources, mobile and social networks.
- Big Band TV – provides wireless broadband channel embedded video transmission for real-time news and remote management and focuses on broadcast and television stations over the Internet.
- Get Taxi – offers taxi reservations through its advanced mobile application or website. The app locates and alerts the nearest taxi and updates the user on its estimated time of arrival via live progress on a map. Taxis are equipped with a special device to enable the tracking, feedback, payment and more.
- Gsoft (CEO Hagai Hen)- has developed a data mining-based solution that helps large organizations present proposals and recommendations to customers, across all channels of communication, decision-making based on automatic.
- Host Dynamics – provides resource management solution to cloud computing networks that allow organizations to double the number of virtual machines that run on existing hardware without compromising performance.
- HydroSpin (CEO Gabby Czertok) develops a generator located inside water pipes, produces energy from water flow, and provides monitoring and control on remote locations.
- Whitewater Security – offer water utilities and high risk facilities protection against an ever-growing range of threats: from accidental contamination to terror attacks and natural disasters.
- The Video Point- provides a content management system and publisher widget to integrate third party videos on publisher websites. The video point indexes and recommends related content to both private and public video content online.
- Wave Guard Technologies – offers governments and municipalities effective and affordable solution for monitoring and controlling cellular radiation, based on analysis of raw data continuously in all existing cellular networks for cellular antennas.
- Zramim – Based in a moshav in the south of Israel, Zramim (translate: Currents) is developing systems for managing water systems and real-time information for monitoring.
- Tawkon – provides a solution for the issue of radiation operator with minimal interruption to use the regular phone. The company’s application in real-time monitoring the radiation exposure from mobile phones and provides information on steps to avoid radiation.
- Trax Technology Solutions – develops technology solutions and focuses on the retail and sector holdings information store shelves in real-time monitoring arrangement of products on the shelf and brand management in emerging markets exposure.
- Metrycom – develops wireless control solutions that combine advanced sensor-based wireless network and IPv6 that allow monitoring and control of large systems without the need for maintenance.
- MyChic – develops a stratified reality platform ( Augmented Reality ) e-commerce industry. The company’s solution allows online stores, mainly in fashion, shopping experience very close to the physical world.
- Mintigo – offers retail giants, financial institutions and service providers software system that delivers business insight about their customers from huge databases.
- Small World Analytics – is working in unstructured data and develops solutions that allow end users to manage, understand and interact with massive amounts of data in real time.
- SenseForge – trying to bridge gaps in language and develops tools and solutions for automated testing and revisions of documents and improve the performance of automatic translation machines.
- Senexx – developing a system for information and questions and answers that helps individuals and teams to identify and manage skills within the organization.
- Seculert- provides a cloud-based security software as a service model ( SaaS ). Seculert platform offers customers real-time alerts on global cyber threats that could impact on their internal network .
- FederationCloud – has developed a comprehensive solution for integration of cloud and automation of work processes that helps organizations to advance the cloud environment.
- Porticor Cloud Security- is a startup offering a solution to information security and privacy are a model of public cloud infrastructure as a service ( IaaS ) model and platform as a service ( PaaS ).
- First Life Research- provides information for more informed decisions about medications by patients, pharmacists, physicians and pharmaceutical companies using semantic algorithms and based on reports from users that are available online.
- Xydex Technologies - is engaged in Business Communication Management (BCM) and is developing a comprehensive package that offers chat, email, VoIP , video and customer relationship management.
- C-B4 PREDICTIVE ANALYTICS is developing a software solution for analytics, monitoring and alerts in information-intensive environments.
- FST21 offers access management systems and automation solutions, based on a range of technologies and identification means, intended to increase security for residential buildings and offices.
Latest posts by Eze Vidra (see all)
- Thank you Israel for welcoming our British startup (Guest post) - December 11, 2013
- Media, Education and Context in 2020 - November 28, 2013
- UK and Israel – Growth through Partnership (Guest Post) - November 28, 2013
Subscribe to VC Cafe via email
VC Cafe Categories